Professor Ivo Pitanguy graduated in Medicine from the Federal University of Minas Gerais and from the then University of Brazil, which is now the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. Specialized in General Surgery at the Hospital do Pronto Socorro do Rio de Janeiro, nowadays Souza Aguiar and at Serviço de Cirurgia da Universidade do Brasil.
When he realized his vocation for Plastic Surgery, he participated in a competition, organized by the Institute of International Education and was contemplated with a scholarship, which took him to Cincinnati as a resident surgeon to work under guidance of Professor John Longacre, at Bethesda Hospital. Afterwards, he was a visiting fellow at the Mayo Clinic, in Minnesota; and in the Plastic Surgery Department headed by Dr. John Marquis Converse.
In Europe, he was a visiting fellow of the Plastic Surgery services headed by Marc Iselin, in Paris, and attended as Fellow other Plastic Surgeries services, amongst them, the one headed by Professors C. Dufourmentel and R. Mouly in Paris and Paul Tessier, in Surèsnes.
The maturing of his professional formation happened in England, guided by Professors Sir Harold Gillies, in London, Sir Archibald McIndoe at Queen Victoria Hospital, in East Grinstead and Professor Kilner, at Churchill Hospital, in London.
With the experience gained, he felt the responsibility to put in practice, in favor of the society, all the knowledge he gained. This feeling motivated him to make the following initiatives:
- He was the idealizer and organizer of the Burn unit at the Hospital Antônio Pedro, which was built on the occasion of the tragic fire of the Gran Circo Norte-Americano, in Niteroi (1961), greatest fire in a closed establishment ever occurred in the world.
- Founded the first Hand Surgery Clinic in Brazil, at the 19ª Enfermaria da Santa Casa da Misericórdia do Rio de Janeiro.
- He was Head of the Hand Surgery Service of the 18ª Enfermaria da Santa Casa da Misericórdia do Rio de Janeiro.
- Founder and Head of the Plastic Surgery service of the 38ª Enfermaria da Santa Casa da Misericórdia do Rio de Janeiro.
- Founder and Director of the Clinic Ivo Pitanguy, Plastic Surgery Department of the Pontifícia Universidade Católica of Rio de Janeiro and of the Instituto de Pós-Graduação Médica Carlos Chagas, Rio de Janeiro.
- Became Title Professor of the Plastic Surgery department of the Pontifícia Universidade Católica of Rio de Janeiro and Instituto de Pós-Graduação Médica Carlos Chagas.
When he promoted the integration between the Clinic Ivo Pitanguy and the 38ª Enfermaria da Santa Casa da Misericórdia do Rio de Janeiro, he made sure to have pioneer structure in his teaching to form the best professionals in the plastic surgery field. The clinic became a reference, nationally and internationally, and has been visited by over 4,000 plastic surgeons.
The Plastic Surgery post-graduate course in partnership with the Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RJ) and Instituto Carlos Chagas was founded in 1960. The course has a duration of three years and has already graduated over 500 plastic surgeons of various estates of Brazil and over 40 countries.
At the 38ª Enfermaria da Santa Casa, Pitanguy serves the less favored population and reinforces the social importance of Plastic Surgery, leaving aside his elite character.
Professor Pitanguy shares his experience and knowledge by giving conferences and innumerous surgical demonstrations in seminars, congress and symposium through out Brazil and internationally.
Recognized internationally due to his surgical techniques, the teaching and good spreading of the specialty, he received innumerous honors for being pioneer in diffusing the plastic and aesthetic surgery. Also received titles of Honoris Causa
Professor Pitanguy is Title Member of:
- Academia Nacional de Medicina
- Colégio Brasileiro de Cirurgiões
Meritorious Member of:
- Sociedade Brasileira de Cirurgia Plástica
Founder Member of:
- American Trauma Society
- Sociedade Brasileira de Mão
Honorary Member of:
- Colégio Internacional de Cirurgiões
- Associação Brasileira de Medicina
- Association of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons of South África
- Sociedade Brasileira de Mastologia
- Associación Médica de Argentina
- Sociétá Medica di Bologna
He is a correspondent Member of the following societies:
- Société Fançaise de Chirurgie Plastique et Reconstrutive
- American College of Surgeons
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Royal Society of Medicine
- British Association of Plastic Surgeons
- German Society of Aesthetic Medicine
- American Society of Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Facial and Reconstructive Surgery
Ivo Pitanguy was president of the Museum of Modern Art of Rio de Janeiro from 1975 to 1985.
Elected member of the Academia Brasileira de Letras, in 1990, occupies chair number 22. Is author of over 800 works publicized in scientific magazines from all over the world, as well as prefaces and chapter of books.
Is a member of:
- Conselho Deliberativo do Instituto Brasileiro de Educação, Ciência e Cultura
- Comissão Nacional da Unesco
- Conselho Curador do Jardim Botânico
- Conselho Editorial de diversas publicações científicas do Brasil e do exterior
- Conservation International Wild Life Preservation;
President of honor of Associação dos Ex-Alunos do Professor Pitanguy 100 institutes, hospitals, universitites and Plastic Surgery Associations of several countries, amongst them were:
- Maison Départamentale de Nanterre, invited by Professor Marc Iselin, Paris
- University of Brussels, invited by the Organização do Tratado do Atlântico Norte
- New York University, invited by Prof. Converse.
- Imperial Welfare Organization Hospitals, invited by her Imperial Majesty, Princess Farah Diba, Teerã, Iran
- University of Istanbul, invited by the Ministry of Health of Istanbul, Turkey
- King Hussein Medical Center, invited by His Majesty, King Hussein from Jordan
- Ministry of Health of Kuwait, invited by the Government of Kuwait
- Association d'Aide aux Paralysés du Sud du Maroc, Marrocos
- Martedi di San Domenico, invited by the Centre of San Domenico, Bologna, Italy
- The University of Witwaterrand Baragwanath Hospital, in Johannesburg, South Africa, invited by the Department of Plastic Surgery of the Group of Teaching Hospital
- Freien Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany, invited by Professor Naumann
- University of Tokyo, invited by the Japanese Society of Plastic Surgery
- British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, of London, invited the British Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Cultural and Scientific Mission of the People's Republic of China, Beijing, China
- Monaco-USA Association, Monte Carlo, Mônaco, invited by his majesty Prince Rainier
- Westeinde Hospital, invited by the Dutch Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Haia, Holland.
He was responsible for the Bulletin edition of Plastic Surgery, bimensal publication, to divulge the scientific work of the Plastic Surgery services of Professor Ivo Pitanguy. The Bulletin was edited internationally from 1971 to 1997.
Amongst the books published by Professor Pitanguy, are:
- "Mamaplastias," Rio de Janeiro: Guanabara Koogan, 1976
- "Plastisch Eingriffe na der Ohrmuschel," Stuttgart: Springer Thieme Verlag, 1976
- "Aesthetic Surgery of the Head and Body," Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 1981 - awarded the best scientific book of the year, at the International Book Fair of Frankfurt.
- "Plastic Operations of the Auricle," New York: Springer Thieme Verlag, 1982
- "Les Chemins de la Beauteé," Paris: Editions J.C. Lattés, 1983
- "Paraty," São Paulo: Gráfica Editora Hamburg, 1983
- "El Arte de la Belleza," Barcelona: Ediciones Grijabo, 1984
- "Direito à Beleza," Rio de Janeiro: Editora Record, 1984
- "Angra dos Reis: Baía dos Reis Magos," São Paulo: Marprint Ind., 1986
- "Um jeito de ver o Rio," Projeto Cultura Clínica Ivo Pitanguy, 1991
- "Aprendendo com a Vida," São Paulo: Editora Best Seller, 1993
- "Atlas da Cirurgia Palpebral," Rio de Janeiro: Colina/Revinter, 1994
He was awarded many titles, amongst them were:
- Doctor Philosophiae Honoris Causa, pela Universidade de Tel Aviv, Israel
- Chancellier des Universités de Paris, França
- Doctor Honoris Causa by Universidade de Alagoas, Maceió
- Doctor Honoris Causa by Universidade Federal da Paraíba
- Doctor Honoris Causa by Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Rio Grande do Sul
- Doctor Honoris Causa by Universidade de Santa Cecília, Santos, São Paulo
- Doctor Honoris Causa by Universidade Estácio de Sá, Rio de Janeiro
- Conselheiro Emérito (Conselho de Minerva) by Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Weitere Informationen finden Sie auf der offiziellen Webseite von Prof. Dr. Pitanguy (auf Englisch und Portugiesisch).